According to Remodeling Magazine's, 2008 Cost vs. Value Report, 9 out of the top 10 project paybacks are "exterior" remodeling projects:
Once again, exterior remodeling projects lead the way for recovery on dollars spent in this year's Cost vs. Value survey. When you compare the national averages, replacement projects that boost curb appeal—siding, windows, and decks—give you the greatest chance of recouping your money. Inside, only kitchen remodels can compare, at least on a national level.
1. Upscale fiber cement siding (86.7%)
2. Midrange wood deck (81.8%)
3. Midrange vinyl siding (80.7%)
4. Upscale foam-backed vinyl (80.4%)
5. Midrange minor kitchen remodel (79.5%)
6. Upscale vinyl window replacement (79.2%)
7. Midrange wood window replacement (77.7%)
8. Midrange vinyl window replacement (77.2%)
9. Upscale wood window replacement (76.5%
10. Midrange major kitchen remodel (76.0%)
So, if you have to sell and you've made any of these improvements to your property in the last year, all is not doom and gloom. Today's BUYER sees the value in these remodeling projects and is willing to pay you back on your investment!